Blatantly stealing this from Mark, but in the interest of full disclosure, I wrote down what I know about the X-Files before I started watching. I probably forgot some things, but this is what I could dredge up from the vaults on the spot.
What I know About X-Files Beforehand:
- Mulder and Scully are partners, he believes in the supernatural things they investigate, she doesn’t
- Gillian Anderson went on to play Lady Dedlock in Bleak House (Bleak House is very important to me, okay?)
- The truth is out there
- There’s a smoking man. Whether he smokes because he is on fire or smokes some kind of organic material in cigarette or pipe form I have no idea.
- Smoking man might be Mulder’s father. (I feel like I once read a list about the X-Files and that was in there…Or I might be making things up. I have no idea. Isn’t this fun?)
- I saw half of the first movie in the middle of the night on a computer screen in Heather’s dorm room sophomore year of college. There were… Bees? In a greenhouse? And Scully was in some kind of mortal peril? Maybe because she’s allergic to bees?
- The guy who plays Mulder left after x – 2 seasons (where x is the total number of seasons, which I believe is 9) and the show limped on for two more seasons.
- Scully has a baby at some point.
- There’s probably romantic tension. I feel like it might pay off after a number of seasons.